Frontend Developer vs. Backend Developer - Who is Better for Your Project?
The importance of a seamless and user-friendly website is essential to growing your business in this digital age. An enterprise-level website can be useful in attracting new customers, driving sales, and running marketing campaigns. Today, websites can play a vital role in giving an edge over competitors and boosting revenue, but then, it is necessary to know about its two components-front-end and back-end from the perspective of a software development company.
As a CEO or a business owner, you have gone through many websites to date. Be it a competitor’s website or any other website of a different company, some websites may attract you with an appealing interface and smooth experience. On the other hand, you may have closed some websites quickly that have a poor look and feel. Here, frontend development and backend development come into the picture. Let’s understand these concepts in this post.
Interesting Website Development-related Stats
- 57 percent of Internet users say they will not recommend a business if their website looks poorly designed on mobile
- 38 percent of people will stop engaging with a website if the layout or content are not attractive
- 88 percent of online consumers are less likely to come back to the website after having a bad UX (User Experience)
- 39 percent of people will stop engaging with a website if images take too long to load on desktops or smartphones
Front-end Web Development- It’s about Appearance
Before moving to the back-end development, let’s go through the list of roles and responsibilities of front-end web developers.
Roles and Responsibilities - Frontend Developers
- Define page components with HTML
- Make components look pleasing using CSS
- Increase productivity of the website using frameworks
- Perform jobs like version control, automation, etc.
- Analyze the client-side performance to ensure a better user experience
Back-end Web Development- When Performance Matters
Backend developers work on server-side web development. They mainly focus on scripting, databases, and website architecture. They also monitor how the website works and make the necessary changes to ensure a seamless performance. Also, backend developers are responsible for updating all the behind-the-scenes functionalities. It is fair to mention that backend web development is about the website’s performance.
Backend development uses the following technologies-
- Programming languages like PHP, C++, Python, Node.js, and Java
- Cache and Databases like MySQL, MongoDB, and Oracle
- Servers including Apache, Nginx, Microsoft IIS, etc.
- API-REST & SOAP services
Here are the key roles and responsibilities of backend web developers.
Roles and Responsibilities- Backend Developers
- Create page components and content dynamically on the server
- Generate different web pages by programming in any particular language
- Help the web development team to achieve a faster response time
- Manage API resources to ensure a seamless experience across various devices
- Organize the logic of the system that runs across different devices
- Build a web framework or architecture to develop a website
When you hire dedicated programmers for your website development project, chances are high that you have both front-end and back-end developers in your team. However, if you want to think upon the answer to the question- What should you select for your upcoming website project- front-end or back-end developers, then we need to go through the difference between front-end and back-end developers from skillsets, goals, and other aspects.
|Difference Factor||Front-end Web Developers||Back-end Web Developers|
|Importance||For implementing visual components||For ensuring seamless performance|
|Goals||Ensure accessibility and responsiveness of the website||Ensure faster response time and proper functioning of the website|
|Must Have Skills||They need to understand how to work on the web design and UI/UD of a website||They should be capable of implementing algorithms and solving various system-based issues.|
Front-end web development is not an independent service. However, the software development company can offer back-end development as an independent service in BaaS (Back-end as a Service). Also, the backend team can make an application around the front-end web development process to support it.
Simply put, when it comes to the appearance and aesthetics of the website, front-end development is necessary, but if you think of running this website seamlessly, you need to count upon back-end developers. They can write a clean code to ensure that your feature-rich and user-focused business website runs smoothly every time. Backend developers also make reliable algorithms and bring excellent solutions to various difficult problems.
With different responsibilities and skillsets, both front-end web development and backend development are necessary for your building your business website. In other words, there are no superior or preferred ones between front-end and back-end developers because both have different duties to perform. You can consult a reputed software development company to know more about their differences and roles in your upcoming web project.
It is not possible to build a robust and feature-rich business website with either front-end or back-end web developers. All you need to hire dedicated developers for your upcoming web project who can take care of both frontend and backend development. Even a visually appealing website can fail to retain visitors or customers if its backend does not work properly, and a seamlessly-performing website can attract visitors if the website’s appearance is ordinary.
At Silver Touch Technologies, we have in-house teams of experienced front-end and back-end web developers. You can hire dedicated developers for your upcoming web project in a cost-effective way using our flexible and scalable engagement models. If you want to know more about our advanced web development services, simply drop up a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and our expert business consultants will get back to you soon.